Federal Prison Tablet version

A place for general discussion about the content and gameplay of Andor's Trail.
Nut
android_version: 8.0

Re: Federal Prison Tablet version

Post by Nut »

Could be, could be not. It wouldn't really make sense to guess what they might accept and what not.
Unless they contacted us we can't change it.
Nut
tactical371
android_version: 2.0

Post by tactical371 »

I think they also do not allow you to complete a thieves guild quest that is a prerequisite for other thieves guild quests. This locks the prisoners out of several quests.
tactical371

Post by tactical371 »

Fednmate24 wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 5:23 am How many quests are not completable? I'm in the BOP, and play this game all day, every day. I cannot seem to get past a few quests or get to certain parts of the map.

[Message posted on behalf of inmate from family member]
If you or the lawyer can get the save game file out of the prison and upload it here, we may or may not be able to check using https://www.rg-brille.de/etc/AT/AT_checkPlaces.html. See viewtopic.php?p=79985#p79985.

The inmate may or may not also be able to request a copy of the source code as well. If we had access to it, this would make it much easier to answer questions like this. See viewtopic.php?p=79754#p79754.
Death Row Guy
android_version: 14 - Android 14

Post by Death Row Guy »

tactical371 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 4:33 am I do not know if "steal" is the right word. The GNU GPLv2 permits the game to be sold for profit. See https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.ht ... AllowMoney . Regardless, just as piracy is not theft, unauthorized copying is not stealing.

However, I do not know if they are releasing their modified version of Andor's Trail under the GPL, like they are supposed to, or if they are breaking the copyleft or the license as a whole.

Ulfather, do you still have the tablet and/or the game on the tablet now that you have been released? Since you have paid for the game, you should be entitled to the source code, as long as the game you purchased is also licensed under the GPL. And since you are out of prison, they cannot really retaliate against you for exercising your legal rights. So if you want, you can request a copy of the modified source code. You would then be free to post the modified source code on github or another git hosting site. This would allow us to see exactly what differences there are between the game versions, as well as possibly allow us to compile and distribute the BOP version. But this is assuming that they are not in flagrant violation of the license / law.

Do you recognize anything like the attached image from the copy of the game that you played in BOP? If you still have the tablet, can you see if the BOP copy has the same section?

capture1.jpg

After posting my own comments about Andor's Trail, I became aware of the thread about the federal tablets . (Sometimes it takes a while for me to catch up, as I have no direct internet access of my own, and must ask others to look things up. )
As I did not see that anyone had responded to questions regarding the about / help section, I took it upon myself to provide your answer. Here are 2 shots of the pertinent sections. They are actual photos of the tablet, and did not come out great. But it was the best I could manage under the circumstances. Hope it is helpful to you.
I have also taken it upon myself to get the code you asked for. I have begun the request process, and already received an initial denial. So it may take some time. Companies acting on behalf of, or under contract by, the BOP are subject to the PRLA (Prison Litigation Reform Act), so I must complete the inner-prison request system, before I can more onto the company itself. I am not a lawyer, only a correspondence course paralegal, but I can still do what I can to help out.
I noted your concerns, about the problems it might cause a prisoner to seek out the source code. While that is appreciated, I think that any fan of Andor's Trail is obligated to get you that code. It is yours, and it is total BULLS#*T that they are profiting from your work.
So I am on it. Will update you when there is something to say.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tactical371

Post by tactical371 »

Death Row Guy wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:10 am
tactical371 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 4:33 am I do not know if "steal" is the right word. The GNU GPLv2 permits the game to be sold for profit. See https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.ht ... AllowMoney . Regardless, just as piracy is not theft, unauthorized copying is not stealing.

However, I do not know if they are releasing their modified version of Andor's Trail under the GPL, like they are supposed to, or if they are breaking the copyleft or the license as a whole.

Ulfather, do you still have the tablet and/or the game on the tablet now that you have been released? Since you have paid for the game, you should be entitled to the source code, as long as the game you purchased is also licensed under the GPL. And since you are out of prison, they cannot really retaliate against you for exercising your legal rights. So if you want, you can request a copy of the modified source code. You would then be free to post the modified source code on github or another git hosting site. This would allow us to see exactly what differences there are between the game versions, as well as possibly allow us to compile and distribute the BOP version. But this is assuming that they are not in flagrant violation of the license / law.

Do you recognize anything like the attached image from the copy of the game that you played in BOP? If you still have the tablet, can you see if the BOP copy has the same section?

capture1.jpg

After posting my own comments about Andor's Trail, I became aware of the thread about the federal tablets . (Sometimes it takes a while for me to catch up, as I have no direct internet access of my own, and must ask others to look things up. )
As I did not see that anyone had responded to questions regarding the about / help section, I took it upon myself to provide your answer. Here are 2 shots of the pertinent sections. They are actual photos of the tablet, and did not come out great. But it was the best I could manage under the circumstances. Hope it is helpful to you.
I have also taken it upon myself to get the code you asked for. I have begun the request process, and already received an initial denial. So it may take some time. Companies acting on behalf of, or under contract by, the BOP are subject to the PRLA (Prison Litigation Reform Act), so I must complete the inner-prison request system, before I can more onto the company itself. I am not a lawyer, only a correspondence course paralegal, but I can still do what I can to help out.
I noted your concerns, about the problems it might cause a prisoner to seek out the source code. While that is appreciated, I think that any fan of Andor's Trail is obligated to get you that code. It is yours, and it is total BULLS#*T that they are profiting from your work.
So I am on it. Will update you when there is something to say.
Excellent, those screenshots are great. Thank you. I am glad that they did not hide those sections in your copy of the game.

Good luck. If your correspondence course on the law has anything on the concept of copyleft or "free-and-open-source" software, you should look into those course materials.

If your helper on the outside can get you a printout of the wikipedia articles on these topics, they might be useful as an overview (even though wikipedia itself is not an infallible source and should not be quoted in legal arguments). Note that as the free software article says, under the business model section, selling software under a free-software license like the GPLv2 is permissible. It just so happens that often this software is given for free. This is because any buyer can read the source code, compile it to machine code, and distribute their own version for free if they want to, provided that their version also complies with all the provisions of the copyleft license. So the prison is not violating the license by charging you for the program. They are violating the license if they refuse to give you a copy of the source code in human-readable format and deny you the right to study, modify, and distribute the source code as you see fit.

Here are the wikipedia articles to print out for the prisoner to read, if they want to read it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... oad-screen

Here is where you can get a copy of the GNU General Public License version 2. This should be printed out and given to the inmate, at least, since that is what the program is licensed under.
https://www.gnu.org/licenses/old-licenses/gpl-2.0.html

Here is some information about GPL violations. Unfortunately, it does not look like it helps you very much, since the developers have already stated that we have no money to pursue legal action (I am not a developer and also have no money) + the original developer did not add the Free Software Foundation as a copyright holder for the software when licensing it. But here it is anyways. https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-violation.html.

I recommend that all those documents be printed out for the inmate to read, since the inmate has no internet access.
Bigjim1973
android_version: 13 - Android 13

Post by Bigjim1973 »

I am out of prison and still have tablet, sent it in for deinstitutionalization, and still cannot download updates for andor's trail to it Help! Anybody level 122 and alot of everything do not want to lose all that grind!
Antison
android_version: 14 - Android 14

Post by Antison »

The version of the game that you are use to playing is not the official version. You're not going to be able to update from their version to ours.
And I seriously doubt you're going to be able to import your save file into our version of the game
"A home without a beagle is just a house"
Nut

Post by Nut »

Is it possible for you to send us the apk? I would be interested what they made of the Flagstone quest.

Also you might find your savegame and export it (together with the whole folder 'worldmap').
I doubt too that our version can load it, but maybe it's possible. You have to try it.
Nut
rijackson741
android_version: 10 - Android 10

Post by rijackson741 »

As Antison notes, you cannot update the prison version to our version. The name may be the same, but there is a signature, and that will be different.
Level:71, XP:6493739, PV:608, FQ:84
HP:210, AC:212, AD:58-77, AP:4, ECC:16%, CM:1.5, BC:188, DR:3
Gold: 237559 | RoLS:1, RoL:1, GoW:1, VSH:1, RoFLS:1, WoB:1
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1
Nut

Post by Nut »

Sure. But maybe the savegame could be used in our version. It depends on the changes that they have done to the APK, but it is worth a try.

After exporting the savegames (and worldmap folder), the app has to be deleted and then it should be possible to install our version.
Here exists an import option which might accept the savegame of the prison version.

But even if the savegame can't be used, our version is better. It has more content and is still growing.
Only beware to get into prison again - savegames from our APK will not work in the prison APK ;)
Nut