are you sure button

Unstructured ideas, requests and suggestions for the development of the game.
qasur

are you sure button

Post by qasur »

Can we get an "Are you sure?" button when you're about to sell boss items and if you're about to overwrite an existing saved file?
Samuel
VIP
android_version: 2.2

Re: are you sure button

Post by Samuel »

qasur wrote:Can we get an "Are you sure?" button when you're about to sell boss items and if you're about to overwrite an existing saved file?
IMO the second one would be annoying.
Level: 101, XP: 18780586, Gold: 358739
HP: 398, AC: 303%, AD: 84-95, AP: 4, ECC: 12, CM: -, BC: 13%, DR: 0
RoLS: 2, ElyR: 1, RoL: 1, ChaR: 1, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 1, SRoV: 2, VSH: 1, WMC: 0, GoW: 0
qasur

Post by qasur »

I have two separate games running, and I accidentally deleted 2 levels worth of stuff by overwriting the wrong saved game... luckily enough, I generally save twice every now and then for this reason.

Also, an option could be added to the preference screen to enable/disable this feature.

At the bare minimum, it should ask you if the character name being saved differs from the saved game you're about to erase.
Samuel
VIP
android_version: 2.2

Post by Samuel »

Level: 101, XP: 18780586, Gold: 358739
HP: 398, AC: 303%, AD: 84-95, AP: 4, ECC: 12, CM: -, BC: 13%, DR: 0
RoLS: 2, ElyR: 1, RoL: 1, ChaR: 1, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 1, SRoV: 2, VSH: 1, WMC: 0, GoW: 0
qasur

Post by qasur »

Thanks! Didn't know how to do that...
tuner240

Post by tuner240 »

This will be a nice addition if added. I always saved before selling anything in fear of "fat-fingering" the screen and selling something I wanted to keep.
Level: 45, Experience: 1656541, Gold: 47376, RoLS: 0, ElyR: 0, RoL: 0
Hitpoints: 70, Attack chance: 197%, Attack damage: 29-30, Attack cost: 3, Critical hit chance: 20%, Critical multiplier: 3, Block chance: 30%, Damage resistance: 0
Mino
VIP
android_version: 4.4 - Kitkat

Post by Mino »

qasur wrote:I have two separate games running, and I accidentally deleted 2 levels worth of stuff by overwriting the wrong saved game... luckily enough, I generally save twice every now and then for this reason.

Also, an option could be added to the preference screen to enable/disable this feature.

At the bare minimum, it should ask you if the character name being saved differs from the saved game you're about to erase.
I also have 2 separate games running, and I've been using 2 save slots for each for that same reason. That way, when I accidentally erase over one with the wrong game, I have the back up. Sometimes the finger just slips and you write over the wrong one (in my case anyway).
Lvl: 206 XP: 159262572, Gold: 1657119, RoLS: 2, ElyR: 1, RoL: 1, ChaR: 2, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 6, SRoV: 1, VSH: 6, WMC: 1, GoW: 1
HP: 241, AP: 3, AC: 562%, AD: 116-130, CM: 3.0, ECC: 38%, BC: 139%, DR: 3

QL 25, MF 3

12/26/18
qasur

Post by qasur »

Just a "bump" to get an [O]fficial answer for this.

I don't know how to program XML/Android OS stuff (C++ and VB guy myself), or I'd take a whack at it, but would it be difficult to add a safety in to the game?

Basically, I think Samuel and I delved down to the best and easiest one would be: If you click on a non-empty saved game slot, and the name of the character being saved *does not* match the one that is stored in the saved game slot, then the a dialogue appears to ask "Are you sure you want to overwrite this saved game slot?" That would keep the integrity of being able to save on the fly if you're playing, but would prevent someone with multiple characters from accidentally overwriting a character.
oskarwiksten
Captain Awesome
android_version: 2.3 - Gingerbread

Post by oskarwiksten »

qasur wrote:Just a "bump" to get an [O]fficial answer for this.

I don't know how to program XML/Android OS stuff (C++ and VB guy myself), or I'd take a whack at it, but would it be difficult to add a safety in to the game?

Basically, I think Samuel and I delved down to the best and easiest one would be: If you click on a non-empty saved game slot, and the name of the character being saved *does not* match the one that is stored in the saved game slot, then the a dialogue appears to ask "Are you sure you want to overwrite this saved game slot?" That would keep the integrity of being able to save on the fly if you're playing, but would prevent someone with multiple characters from accidentally overwriting a character.
Thank you (again) qasur for the suggestion. I think this would be a good thing to add.
Samuel registered your suggestion as an issue on the tracker here:
http://code.google.com/p/andors-trail/i ... ail?id=215

It's always a matter of prioritizing what we spend our development efforts on. Should we devote coding efforts to issue N or should we focus on issue K instead? As you know, Andor's Trail is developmend as an open source project, so anyone is welcome to propose code changes. Personally, I think this would be an excellent opportunity for someone that wants to learn more about the source code of Andor's Trail, and development of Android programs in general. Android development is very easy to learn if you have prior knowledge of coding. There is a tutorial on how to set up your development environment available here:
http://code.google.com/p/andors-trail/w ... Subversion

If someone wants to have a try at implementing this, please let me know and I will do what I can to help! (hint)
/Oskar
ejwessel

Post by ejwessel »

Looked at the hint that was given and I'm assuming that the check for overwriting games is going to be before we save a temporary file in memory in the first function.

Actually I take that back it should be after they click on a slot.

If somebody could write comments in the code it would be appreciated :D as I'm having a little difficulty following along.
Last edited by ejwessel on Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:57 am, edited 2 times in total.