v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

Preliminary Strike

A place for general discussion about the content and gameplay of Andor's Trail.
KSWmy
android_version: 8.0

Preliminary Strike

Post by KSWmy »

Hi everyone,

I have found that we can actually perform 100% preliminary strike in the battles, which means the enemy will not take any chances to attack first. However, it needs some requirements too.

1. This will only happen after finishing our first battle.
2. We must stand at most 1 box away from an enemy, and to attack the enemy with 2 taps (1 is to move and another 1 is to tap on the enemy). It works when the distance to our enemy is short.
3. Act immediately after picking up the enemy’s loots or close it. This is because the enemies won’t move after the battle in approximately 0.5 second.
4. This method can be easily performed if we can move to the enemy directly.
5. For the enemies which are not directly faced, we need the right timing on tapping…

Sometimes we also need to be VERY CAREFUL on this.
1. Not to fall into enemy’s ‘traps’ (attacked by 2 or more foes).

One more part is all enemies will move in only one direction, such as wolves (excluding the bats and the aggressive bees which move towards you). You can observe them as they walk much faster than others in early game.

This method can actually help in the earlier game, but I don’t know is it available in the later game. Hope this works to everyone!
CKork
android_version: 10 - Android 10

Re: Preliminary Strike

Post by CKork »

Might be easier than that.
During my extensive grind (early as well as end game), I observed that it is far less likely to get attacked (therefore execute a preliminary strike) if you attack right after this (or all orher) enemies moved.
It does not work always, but I had the feeling it helped alot, therefore reducing a lot of risk and damage.
Andor's "Vanilla" Bro
:ElyR x1:RolS x2:RoflS x1:RoL x2:HoF x1:ChaR x2:GoLF x1:ShaF x2:SRoV x1:VSH x3:WMC x1:GoW x2:BD x1:HS x2:
LVL 35 (+24 dmg, 2x IF, next to no quests & unique bosses, xp saved 2get2 lvl 80 straight)
KSWmy

Post by KSWmy »

But sometimes I think it is unfair for the minions, as we already have the preliminary strike against bosses. Don't know will the devs modify it.
rijackson741

Post by rijackson741 »

A monster can initiate an attack in one of two ways. If you are adjacent to the monster, which includes on the diagonals, it has a 15% chance of attacking you. Each level of Evasion reduces this by 5%, so with 3 levels it will never happen. Whether or not you are adjacent is checked every 1.2 seconds (so much shorter than a movement round). A monster will also attack if it attempts to move onto your square, in which case it will always get the first attack. Most monsters cannot move on diagonals though. If you move onto the monsters square you always get the first attack, and, importantly, you can move on a diagonal. So if you run straight at a monster (i.e. not on a diagonal) there is a chance the monster will get the first attack because you are adjacent to it (even if only briefly), and also a chance that it will get the first attack because it moves onto your square before you move onto it's square. If you run at a monster on a diagonal, for most monsters the only chance it has to attack first is because you are adjacent to it, and with three levels of Evasion you can eliminate that chance altogether.
Hopefully that clears up how it actually works.
Level:71, XP:6493739, PV:608, FQ:84
HP:210, AC:212, AD:58-77, AP:4, ECC:16%, CM:1.5, BC:188, DR:3
Gold: 237559 | RoLS:1, RoL:1, GoW:1, VSH:1, RoFLS:1, WoB:1
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1
KSWmy

Post by KSWmy »

rijackson741 wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 1:28 am
A monster can initiate an attack in one of two ways. If you are adjacent to the monster, which includes on the diagonals, it has a 15% chance of attacking you. Each level of Evasion reduces this by 5%, so with 3 levels it will never happen. Whether or not you are adjacent is checked every 1.2 seconds (so much shorter than a movement round). A monster will also attack if it attempts to move onto your square, in which case it will always get the first attack. Most monsters cannot move on diagonals though. If you move onto the monsters square you always get the first attack, and, importantly, you can move on a diagonal. So if you run straight at a monster (i.e. not on a diagonal) there is a chance the monster will get the first attack because you are adjacent to it (even if only briefly), and also a chance that it will get the first attack because it moves onto your square before you move onto it's square. If you run at a monster on a diagonal, for most monsters the only chance it has to attack first is because you are adjacent to it, and with three levels of Evasion you can eliminate that chance altogether.
Hopefully that clears up how it actually works.
Oh I thought the chance is like 75%. Thanks for the information!
Tomcat
VIP
android_version: 7.0

Post by Tomcat »

I believe the 75% is the chance of fleeing with no Evasion skill, also reduced by 5% per Evasion skill.
Norbert
Lvl:52 XP:2597576 AP:12 HP:124 AC:282 AD:30-42 CHS:27 CM:2.0 ECC:18% BC:132 DR:2
Skills: CS:2 IF:2 Ev:3 Rg:1 DgPro:1 1HPro:2 LtAPro:2 FS-DW:2 Sp-DW:1
Equip: FP BSS JoF RoP PRoB SrpHbk GoLF EnhCH EnhCB
Other: DotSP VD GoW FB TG RoD+6 Oegyth:6
KSWmy

Post by KSWmy »

There is still the 5% fail to flee when we have maximized the skill. But I seldom run away from enemies, except it's done carelessly. So the main use of the Evasion skill for us is the first attack.

As rijackson741 posted, we just need to get to level 3 of the skill if we want to get the best benefit from the effect. The fourth one will only aid in running away from the enemies.

This skill helps the characters who play full offensive style to one shot the enemies. However, it's very dangerous in Arulir Mountain if your block chance is very low.

If mistakes are done in permadeath mode, ouch!
CKork

Post by CKork »

Well, the flee chance can get very important in permadeath mode, too. Though, 16 levels of evasion (4 skill points) is quite alot. Therefore I guess lvl 3 should suffice for PD mode as well, and go with 90% flee chance.
Andor's "Vanilla" Bro
:ElyR x1:RolS x2:RoflS x1:RoL x2:HoF x1:ChaR x2:GoLF x1:ShaF x2:SRoV x1:VSH x3:WMC x1:GoW x2:BD x1:HS x2:
LVL 35 (+24 dmg, 2x IF, next to no quests & unique bosses, xp saved 2get2 lvl 80 straight)