New here.

A place for general discussion about the content and gameplay of Andor's Trail.
Taledus
android_version: 4.0

New here.

Post by Taledus »

After downloading this game I just wanted to say thank you for making it. I have not been playing very long, and am only at level 5 right now, but for an RPG for the tablet this game seems fairly well balanced IMO. I see the threads already made about suggested content/items that are being requested, and it appears that there is a lot of discussion about more development...all I can say is keep up the great work and continuing effort!

Edit: I like the fact that the game auto saves on exiting, but it would be nice to have some acknowledgement that the game is saving. I see the disabled "Load" button on the main screen, so I think there is going to be more characters that can be played on the same device, but not sure.
phydeaux
VIP
android_version: 5.1 - Lolipop
Location: Gargoyle cavern, blindly hacking mobs to pieces till I find a rols!

Re: New here.

Post by phydeaux »

Auto saves on exit so you can turn off and start up again where you left off...
While playing, press menu, there's a save button there :)

Welcome tip the forums, and happy hunting :D
Mino
VIP
android_version: 4.4 - Kitkat

Post by Mino »

You can save multiple slots (there's an "add new save" option each time you save), there's no limit, except maybe your phone's memory (but that would have to be a lot since the saves aren't that big).

Its very help when you end up in a quest that forces you to choose a side. If you're curious, you can save before making the choice and then branch off 2 saves to try both. That's what I've been doing, I have 9 different games going (18 saves because I have a duplicate of each).
Lvl: 206 XP: 159262572, Gold: 1657119, RoLS: 2, ElyR: 1, RoL: 1, ChaR: 2, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 6, SRoV: 1, VSH: 6, WMC: 1, GoW: 1
HP: 241, AP: 3, AC: 562%, AD: 116-130, CM: 3.0, ECC: 38%, BC: 139%, DR: 3

QL 25, MF 3

12/26/18
nyktos
VIP
android_version: 7.1 - Nougat

Post by nyktos »

Welcome to the forum!

:D
"Embrace the Shadow"

[Lv: 60] [HP: 175] [AC: 361] [AD: 25-39] [BC: 75]
[Dual Wielding Swords] [Unarmored Fighting]
Taledus

Post by Taledus »

phydeaux wrote:Auto saves on exit so you can turn off and start up again where you left off...

I just got my tablet 2 weeks ago...first one. I keep forgetting about the "menu" that is always at the bottom of these apps. Thanks for the assistance in finding my idiocy XD
Last edited by Pyrizzle on Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: no profanity, and using symbols instead isnt permitted either.
phydeaux
VIP

Post by phydeaux »

Lol, no prob :)
Happy hunting
sdevaney
Site Admin
android_version: 14 - Android 14

Post by sdevaney »

Taledus wrote:
phydeaux wrote:Auto saves on exit so you can turn off and start up again where you left off...

I just got my tablet 2 weeks ago...first one. I keep forgetting about the "menu" that is always at the bottom of these apps. Thanks for the assistance in finding my idiocy XD
On a semi-related side note for your information: Technically according to the Android design docs starting with 4.0 (ICS) we shouldn't count on there being menu buttons and everything should be able to be accessed from the user interface. So that is something we are keeping an eye on as newer devices come out. We want to make sure and remain completely playable while balancing nice aesthetics, understandable user interface, and the Android design guidelines.
phydeaux
VIP

Post by phydeaux »

sdevaney wrote: On a semi-related side note for your information: Technically according to the Android design docs starting with 4.0 (ICS) we shouldn't count on there being menu buttons and everything should be able to be accessed from the user interface. So that is something we are keeping an eye on as newer devices come out. We want to make sure and remain completely playable while balancing nice aesthetics, understandable user interface, and the Android design guidelines.
I was wondering about that, getting ready for an upgrade, been shopping phones, and it seems like a lot of newer droid devices don't have the menu button... But I wasn't sure if that meant droid was changing to soft buttons or gonna make the devs add code in their programs for it... It really seems silly, from a programming perspective, for them to remove a default control that every program uses and make the developers write extra code into their programs to make up for it...
Taledus

Post by Taledus »

My apoligies for the fake profanity...
sdevaney wrote:On a semi-related side note for your information: Technically according to the Android design docs starting with 4.0 (ICS) we shouldn't count on there being menu buttons and everything should be able to be accessed from the user interface. So that is something we are keeping an eye on as newer devices come out. We want to make sure and remain completely playable while balancing nice aesthetics, understandable user interface, and the Android design guidelines.
That is great that this is already being taken into account. I'd offer assistance with programming considering this is open source but afraid that having access to any part of it would ruin the fun :D My experience is limited to C# an VB anyways.

I see a lot of threads already about upgrades and suggestions, and a good effort taken to compile them in threads and meeting notes (+5 for that) and to provide detailed responses. One of the main things I didnt see, and not sure if this group relies on one or not, was the main design doc. I know this game is in it's infancy stages, but the game itself does seem to be missing some core functionality. A lot of the stuff is going to be added at some point, and a ranking system of importance is already given to a lot of items, but it keeps me wondering how far I am going to get before an upgrade happens and I must start over?

I mean it's one thing to have to add/change maps, quests, storylines, items, and NPC's, but some of the stuff looks like it might reqire an overhaul of how the player works.

One thing I'd like to point out is the whole pvp online deal...I personally like the fact that this game is single player only :D
Taledus

Post by Taledus »

I have not seen these idea yet, but would have thought they would be one of the first addressed...sorry if I have missed it but did not want to post an entire new thread for these:

Paperdolling for worn equipment...something different that the shirtless guy
Character selection...more than 1 sprite.
Character direction...the sprite on my device only faces 1 direction - down.
Background for main menu...there's just characters...would look better imo.
Full maps for outdoor areas, not partial ones. Makes it easier to align the maps when mapping.
Blocked off areas that appear to be opened...simply adding trees or rocks can help.

Switching the layer the sprite is drawn on. I have only seen this in 1 other game where the sprite can walk on top of a bridge, as well as go underneath it. It adds depth to the environment and can add more uniqueness to the game. It can be done in the same manner as event tiles, except that 2 would be needed, one before sprite goes under bridge to draw under the layer, and one when they exit to bring them back to the original layer. While the concept is simple and my explanation is a very basic one in order to explain it, the idea can be used for much more than just bridge areas if you think about it.