Resetting Stats & Skill points

Unstructured ideas, requests and suggestions for the development of the game.
Sam2
android_version: 2.3 - Gingerbread

Resetting Stats & Skill points

Post by Sam2 »

How's about instead the developers add an NPC in the game somewhere who you pay(?) to reset your stat choices/skill points? You retain the experience points, but are set to lv 1 and have to redistribute your points.

I think it'd be a nice touch, especially if a player wants to change their build but not have to grind through the whole game again just to get to the same point (I speak from experience here...)

I imagine the prices to be respective to the characters level. E.G at lv 2, it takes a reasonable while, but is not impossible to raise 500 gold, however, at lv 15, it's about the same level of difficulty to raise 5-7000g, so the prices should reflect this.

Another valid payment method I think would be to take a percentage of the players total experience points. So say you have a total of 10,000 exp, you sacrifice 15% of that to reset your skills, leaving you with 8,500 exp.

Any thoughts?
Block, step, kill.
Pyrizzle
VIP
android_version: 6.0 - Marshmallow

Re: Resetting Stats & Skill points

Post by Pyrizzle »

There would be waaay to many ways for players to abuse this system.

For example: A player could put all of his or her skill points into magic finder until he/she found all the legendary and extraordinary items then go reset their player back to lvl 1 again (with the items already in their inventory)

There is no amount of money in game that would make this work in the game. I can easily get to over 15,000 gold by level 5 if i am playing aggressivly and just going for cash (meats are the best way to get money early on)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Player Name:Pyro
Lvl:24XP:244KAP:2/10HP:80AC: 189%AD:13-21CHS:-6CM: 0BC: 20%DR:2
IF:2Reg:2FSDW:1

May Elythara bless you and light your path!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
nyktos
VIP
android_version: 7.1 - Nougat

Post by nyktos »

excellent point, Brother...

:shock:
"Embrace the Shadow"

[Lv: 60] [HP: 175] [AC: 361] [AD: 25-39] [BC: 75]
[Dual Wielding Swords] [Unarmored Fighting]
fiernaq
android_version: 2.3 - Gingerbread

Post by fiernaq »

I have to agree with Pyrizzle on this one :(

While it would certainly be a nice feature to have I don't think it fits into the game for two reasons: 1) it's too easy to abuse (as Pyrizzle mentioned) and 2) it's not standard for an old-school rpg like this one. Think back to ADOM or any of the many other rogue-likes and the common thread between them is that the only way to even test multiple choices is to duplicate your save game and fork it. While some of the newer RPGs have deviated from this path I still like the idea of permanent consequences affecting your character. It's what makes your character really yours... you fly by gut instinct and take whatever you get.
Level: 58, HP: 102, AC: 295%, AD: 46-56, AP: 2/12, BC: 35%, DR: 4
Gold: 75235 | RoLS: 0 RoL: 0 SRoV: 0 VSH: 0
Skills: IF1, Ev1, Ev2, Ev3, CE1, CS1, CS2, Re1, WA1, HH1, Cl1, HH2, DaggerPro1, LightArmorPro1, ShieldPro1, WA2, Cl2
Equipment: Enhanced Combat Helmet, Serpent's Hauberk, Marrowtaint, Quickstrike Dagger, Remgard Shield, Villain's Ring, Villain's Ring, Leather Gloves Of Attack, Enhanced Combat Boots
Last Updated: 02-Dec-2013
Pyrizzle
VIP
android_version: 6.0 - Marshmallow

Post by Pyrizzle »

It's those choices you have to make and keep that really makes the replay value of this game skyrocket. I have done many different builds (some more successful than others) and have tried picking many sides. They are all fun, my reccomendation is that if you want to try different builds:

When you start a new player, raise the player up a few levels and keep the stats pretty even, save multipul files when you are at a good point (when the beggining baddies are not so dangerous anymore) now you can use these files to play without having to play the entire begining part over again (which can be slow)

Player Name:Pyro
Lvl:24XP:244KAP:2/10HP:80AC: 189%AD:13-21CHS:-6CM: 0BC: 20%DR:2
IF:2Reg:2FSDW:1

May Elythara bless you and light your path!