New Fighting Style: Duelist

Unstructured ideas, requests and suggestions for the development of the game.
DawnPhoenix
android_version: 12 - Android 12

Re: New Fighting Style: Duelist

Post by DawnPhoenix »

rijackson741 wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 5:39 pm What I mean by structured is a little difficult to describe. There are only certain options we have when creating quests, and the quest has to fit into that available structure. For example, we can store a record of what a player has done in quest logs (some of which are not visible to the player), or faction scores. But that is all. Quest updates, removing or adding items, etc. are always tied to a dialogue, although that dialogue could be invisible to the player. There are various other things we can do, such as changing the appearance of a map, but also things we cannot do, such as creating a new skill.

Everyone on the dev team has a full time job. That's why we have very limited time for AT development.
Ah, I see. What if, and this is a big if, as it may take quite a while (and someone might get to it before I do) I could design not only new sets of quests, but an entirely new area with NPCs related to said quest? Faction scores (Such as with Feygard, the Shadow, and the Thieves' Guild, etc.) would be taken into account, and some options would only be available once you have achieved a certain score in the related factions, which would prevent premature advancement.

I cannot promise anything in the form of good coding(not my area of expertise, though I will do my best--I lack some higher-level mathematic knowledge such as trigonometry or calculus) but I am decent at design. I don't want to say I'm necessarily good or great as I'm sure many others out there far surpass my talents. But I can do simple things like map, character, and monster design, dialogue options, and dialogues to add/remove items or update quests... including these all seem fairly feasible to me.

I wouldn't ask to be part of your development team (that would be overstepping my bounds, I think) but I would enjoy helping your team out with quests, areas, NPCs, etc, during my free time while I'm injured, and during my off days once I return to work. I expect nothing in return for this of course. I just want to help see this game that I really enjoy grow even more.

In this case, what is the current questline being worked on? Can you privately message me about that, or is that not allowed?

Mainly so that I can tie-in the areas, npcs, and quests I design with stuff currently being worked on. And yes I plan to tool most of the maps and design the quests in ATCS if possible. It may take me a while to learn the program, though.
Nut
android_version: 8.0

Post by Nut »

Have you already tried these links?
https://andorstrail.com/viewtopic.php?t=4560

A bit out of date, especially the part about the development environment, but many good hints,
e.g. the map making tutorial
https://andorstrail.com/wiki/test/andor ... aking.html
https://andorstrail.com/wiki/test/andor ... aking.html

And I remember there's also a good tutorial about quest creation in the even older tutorials https://andorstrail.com/wiki/test/andor ... ction.html
Nut
rijackson741
android_version: 10 - Android 10

Post by rijackson741 »

There's no real secret to what we are working on. It's all open on github:
https://github.com/RiJackson?tab=repositories
https://github.com/NutAndor?tab=repositories
That covers most of it. To see who is doing what you would need to look at the commits for a given repository (i.e. the uploads to it). For example:
https://github.com/Rijackson/laeroth/activity

You are free to create new areas if you wish. We currently have one person working on a desert area to the south. It would be wise to check in with us about what you intend though. Remember that Dhayavar is a dangerous, medieval place. So no unicorns prancing across meadows on sunlit uplands, with rainbows overhead (not that we even have the sprites for that, but...).

We can extend the road to Nor City or Feygard an arbitrary distance, so we can always fit another town or village in there. For other locations, please ask. There may already be something planned or in the works. As far as already named places go, we have nothing for either Carn tower or Brighthaven. Even just getting the maps done for either of these places would be a good start (and it's the easiest part of content creation).
Level:71, XP:6493739, PV:608, FQ:84
HP:210, AC:212, AD:58-77, AP:4, ECC:16%, CM:1.5, BC:188, DR:3
Gold: 237559 | RoLS:1, RoL:1, GoW:1, VSH:1, RoFLS:1, WoB:1
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1
DawnPhoenix

Post by DawnPhoenix »

rijackson741 wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 9:14 pm There's no real secret to what we are working on. It's all open on github:
https://github.com/RiJackson?tab=repositories
https://github.com/NutAndor?tab=repositories
That covers most of it. To see who is doing what you would need to look at the commits for a given repository (i.e. the uploads to it). For example:
https://github.com/Rijackson/laeroth/activity

You are free to create new areas if you wish. We currently have one person working on a desert area to the south. It would be wise to check in with us about what you intend though. Remember that Dhayavar is a dangerous, medieval place. So no unicorns prancing across meadows on sunlit uplands, with rainbows overhead (not that we even have the sprites for that, but...).

We can extend the road to Nor City or Feygard an arbitrary distance, so we can always fit another town or village in there. For other locations, please ask. There may already be something planned or in the works. As far as already named places go, we have nothing for either Carn tower or Brighthaven. Even just getting the maps done for either of these places would be a good start (and it's the easiest part of content creation).
I suppose Carn Tower's maps are a good place to start, then. What general area would Carn Tower be in? Approximately, and this will mainly used to determine the architecture, vegetation, and such elements. Also what creatures I might envision being there.

Edit1: For any architecture I cannot reproduce using current map tiles, would I be allowed to design my own using the current tiles?
Last edited by DawnPhoenix on Sat Jul 08, 2023 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rijackson741

Post by rijackson741 »

Carn tower is to the west of the Crossroads guard house. There already signs that point that way.

As to what is there, it's kind of open. Something nasty probably :D
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1
DawnPhoenix

Post by DawnPhoenix »

rijackson741 wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 9:26 pm Carn tower is to the west of the Crossroads guard house. There already signs that point that way.

As to what is there, it's kind of open. Something nasty probably :D
I see. In that case, how does a necromantic wyvern and drake horde controlled by necromancers sound? The head necromancer would be next to a massive undead dragon. The dragon, BTW, isn't the true enemy here, but wishes to be freed from its suffering under the necromancer's control. It would not respawn like the other necromancers and undead drakes / wyverns, nor would the head necromancer. The same non-respawn mechanic can be used here that was used for the Arulir Pack Leader.
If sprites for some of these don't already exist, I am definitely willing to either grab them from open sources (If they have what I am looking for) or redesign open-sourced sprites to make them.
Last edited by DawnPhoenix on Sat Jul 08, 2023 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rijackson741

Post by rijackson741 »

Be wary about grabbing sprites off the web. They need to fit within our licensing.
Caarn tower.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DawnPhoenix

Post by DawnPhoenix »

rijackson741 wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 9:31 pm
Be wary about grabbing sprites off the web. They need to fit within our licensing.

Caarn tower.JPG
Then is it fine for me to modify current sprites to fit my purposes as long as they are from Andor's Trail and fit in the tiles properly for their sizes?

Edit: I apologize to OP for hijacking his thread for this, it wasn't intentional. I hope you can forgive me.

Regardless, may I send you private messages about any further questions I have, rijackson741? Just so that I'm not clogging up other peoples' threads.
WarWolf01
android_version: 7.1 - Nougat

Post by WarWolf01 »

DawnPhoenix wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 9:32 pm
rijackson741 wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 9:31 pm

Caarn tower.JPG
Then is it fine for me to modify current sprites to fit my purposes as long as they are from Andor's Trail and fit in the tiles properly for their sizes?

Edit: I apologize to OP for hijacking his thread for this, it wasn't intentional. I hope you can forgive me.

Regardless, may I send you private messages about any further questions I have, rijackson741? Just so that I'm not clogging up other peoples' threads.
By the Shadow, please continue! This is getting even better hahahaha
I tried to stimulate a new possible fighting style, and now we are possibly making even more progress!
DawnPhoenix

Post by DawnPhoenix »

WarWolf01 wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 9:57 pmBy the Shadow, please continue! This is getting even better hahahaha
I tried to stimulate a new possible fighting style, and now we are possibly making even more progress!
Oh okay, well since I have your blessing.

I'm currently working on learning the map maker using the tutorials provided in this thread. So far, seems that I mostly have to learn how to interact with the UI correctly and then I should be able to get the hang of it.
No guarantees as to map quality yet, I believe I'm a fair hand at it, but I know there are many out there who are better. Will do my best regardless, and when I finish the first one I will send it to either Antison or Rijackson741. Possibly both